How to stretch a funny t-shirt?
Stretching a funny t-shirt can be a little different than something you are usually use to doing! Sometimes a little special care and instruction will help keep that great looking funny graphic t-shirt looking good and feeling good much longer with some of these great tips in How to stretch a funny t-shirt!
Maybe you have a awesome t-shirt you bought at a concert or ordered online and you and everyone else loved it. You’ve wore it a couple times and it felt great. Now when you put it on, it just doesn’t fit right anymore. What can you do? Here’s how to stretch a funny t-shirt.
- There are a couple methods for stretching a funny t-shirt that can be used when either the garment is wet or dry. The first one involves simply trying to stretch the t-shirt by pulling on it. While most people may try just tugging on the shirt in its poorly fitted places when it’s dry and on their body, this method isn’t usually successful. In fact, if your t-shirt has graphics on it, it may distort them and give away your attempt to stretch your t-shirt. Stretching a t-shirt while it is wet is most successful. I advise wetting your t-shirt and going about it this way.
- The first step after wetting the shirt is to lay it on a flat surface and start pulling gently on the fabric in the areas that you need to stretch out. You should pull lengthwise and crosswise during your stretching process. After you’ve stretched out the wet t-shirt, hang it to dry. A second tactic to use while the t-shirt is wet is to stretch it with an iron. The heat setting of the iron should be on a low to medium. Gently run the iron over the problem area pushing out the fabric lengthwise and crosswise. As with hand stretching, hang the t-shirt to air dry. A final method that can be attempted is to use your iron on a dry shirt using the same technique as above. This method however is likely to only be successful in situations where limited stretching is needed.
- Having a larger sized family member or friend put on your shirt and wear it may sound like another option for stretching out your t-shirt. However, you’d better think carefully before you choose someone to help you try to stretch a funny t-shirt! If the size differential between you and your friend or family member is too great, you’ll ruin your shirt. However, if the differential is not great enough, you may get little or no stretching. Therefore, depending on how much the shirt needs to be stretched and if you have the right individual to utilize for the process, this idea may work. However, you may undo all your stretching work when you wash the t-shirt prior to wearing it yourself.
- Are you ready to take on stretching that t-shirt and make it fit properly? Then drag it out of the closet and figure out just how much stretching you’ll need to do to achieve the fit you’re after. Stretch your funny t-shirt in small increments till you get the desired effect. Stretching a t-shirt is like cutting hair, you can always stretch more, but stretch too much and well, a bad haircut is born! Just remember – the stretching techniques used for wet shirts work best for t-shirts that need a whole lot of stretching. Finally, remember each time you wash your funny t-shirt you might need to repeat the whole process to get that perfect fit again. Happy stretching!
Here is another way to stretch your funny t-shirt:
- Wash/wet t-shirt in COLD water
- If your funny t-shirt gets too wrinkly, you can try the cool cycle of dryer with a dryer sheet to de-wrinkle it some.
- Take your t-shirt and insert your arms and hands into the bottom opening up toward the chest and pull your arms away from each other slowly and gently (this will stretch the width and not length). make sure to rotate your t-shirt each time so that it stretches evenly (side to side and front to back)
- also (and I often have to do this because my bust is larger than the rest of me!), you can target those areas you want wider depending on where you place your hands inside the shirt and repeat step 3.
- you can also stretch the width by grabbing the seams underneath each armpit of the shirt and pull lightly. again, be careful or you will damage/rip the seams! also be careful not to stretch the neck area
*This always works for me, but it sometimes takes a couple of times. It is always better to stretch extra gently and lightly and take more times than it is to aggressively stretch the shirt. After I am finished stretching the shirt, I do NOT lay it flat to dry (causes more wrinkles). I hang my shirt on an extra-wide/thick hanger. This is my favorite way to stretch a funny t-shirt!